header_historical-monuments

Historical Monuments

  • Schoelcher Library: With its colorful dome and façades, the Schoelcher Library is by far the city’s most beautiful monument. Designed by architect Henri Pick, a contemporary of Gustave Eiffel and the Saint-Louis Cathedral designer, the library was disassembled and transported to Martinique after serving as the Canada Pavilion at the 1898 World Expo. Despite its unusual Romano- Byzantine architectural style, this building blends into its environment well.
  • Saint-Louis Cathedral: Dates from 1895. Don’t miss the splendid organ.
  • Espace Camille Darsieres: Cultural workshops – Palais de Justice Garden Victor Schoelcher Statue. An early 20th century building, the Courthouse was the scene of major trials in Martinique’s history. The famous speeches of brilliant lawyers (Victor Sévère, Joseph Lagrosillière…) still echo in these unused rooms.
  • Hotel de la Prefecture: Built in 1933, listed as a historical monument in 1990.
  • Le Theatre de la Ville (City Theater): Listed as a historical monument in 1979
  • Le Fort Saint-Louis: Listed Monument Military architectural style known as “à la Vauban”. In light of the tensions between the French and the English during colonial times, these fortifications were built in 1640, at the behest of Governor de Baas.
  • Le Sacre Coeur de Balata: This basilica dates from 1924 – It is a 1/5 replica of the Montmartre Basilica in Paris.
  • The Anse Cafard Memorial: On April 8th, 1830, a slave boat was maneuvering in risky conditions off the coast of Diamant. At 11 pm, the raging ocean finally got her way and the boat was smashed up against the rocks. The boat was completely destroyed, and 46 bodies were found the next day. The slave-ship sailors were buried in the Diamant cemetery, and the drowned Africans were buried not far from the coastline. This monument is a tribute to the victims of slave trade; it was created by Laurent Valère, a local artist.